Thursday, December 1, 2011

Red Emma and Zines

Since I didn't make it to a site in Baltimore this week i made a quick stop at Red Emma's today between class and our critiques. Sam, Naomi and I walked there to do some more planning for our final project. I have been a few times before. Last time I spent a good deal of time sitting in the back of the store reading poems from the small book section. The I ordered the malapesto bagel and tea, bought a copy of Bust magazine and sat down with the girls. We talked for a while and planned out our project. Afterwards we all browsed around for a while.

I've never quite understood zines until I took a closer look at the selection they had at Red Emma's. I asked the woman running the cafe what the protocol was. essentially, artists/activists/writers/ compile their works, ideas and essays and submit them to Red Emma's. If they like them enough to sell them, they add a dollar to the price to keep as commission.

Mildred and I have been considering putting together a zine of inmate art and writing. I suggested the idea to the woman at the till and she seemed pretty excited. She shared that she also had worked in jails. She had taught pop culture classes in juvenile facilities in Washington.

If we get this zine off the ground in the spring it looks like we'll have a place to put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment