Thursday, December 1, 2011

School 33 Art Center

I previously went to School 33 for the opening of an exhibition that my Elements of Visual Thinking teacher, Paul Jeans, was featured in. Going back without the crowd allowed the work to stand out in a way that wasn't as easy to appreciate before. Somehow the silence made the work so much louder and I was much more receptive to the visual images I saw this time around. 

The installation piece made of string by Mindy Hirt was one of the most comforting pieces for me. I felt surrounded by this network of lines and although the space was anything but dense, I got the impression that the space was actually a mass that couldn't be penetrated. I liked that she activated the room and didn't choose to merely make an image out of the material. 

Paul Jean's pieces were extremely stimulating visually. There was so much detail in the textures made with paint, yet the surface was completely flat. The mystery of how the pieces came to be wasn't lost when I got up close. I was still mesmerized by the layers of colors and almost overwhelmed by it all. 

Let There Be Light was another space that was comforting to stand in, although I had wished there was no sound in the piece, which distracted me a little from the sculptures. Putting this piece on the same floor as the Visions of Excess show was interesting seeing as they create two very different atmospheres. 

I had a relaxing time going through all of the artwork and can't wait to go back when there is new work.

-Ale 

No comments:

Post a Comment