Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Both my parents grew up in a revolution and lived through a war in Nicaragua. Having to escape the country for safety, work, and helping out their own families, each of them went to another country (my dad to Mexico and later the U.S.; my mom to the U.S.) alone. There were great hardships in both of their cases including the sudden unjust death of a loved one. So, in my household I grew up with my mom's words of negativity and hatred towards communism. corruption, the Sandinistas, and injustice.
 I feel more strongly about injustice towards the more helpless, especially children. I never know what to do to help out or how I can involve my art to make a change in their lives. All I know I want to do is make their lives better and their suffering less.
 There is this huge garbage dump (called La Chureca) in the capital of Nicaragua where more than 300 families live. They dig through the garbage collecting stuff to sell or get money from. Among these families, there are children too, working and basically living there. Not many people know about this, and all I can think of is grabbing a camera/video camera and just getting some footage of it all.
 Links:
http://www.lachureca.org/crisis.html
Also, Anthony Bourdain (from No Reservations) visited La Chureca in Nicaragua. He shows some of it in this video from 11:38 to 14:40.
-Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment