Saturday, October 8, 2011

What Defines a Community Artist?- Ale N.


           Community art to me is essentially creating art with others who have similar interests or share something in common with me that is important in defining a particular community or group. I think that community artists should aim to incorporate others in their practice or otherwise, make something as a gift to the community if it is to be a public piece: If not a gift then a statement on behalf of a larger group of individuals.
            I do not personally consider myself a community artist yet. But being in this class is preparing me for the potential work that I will do for my own hometown when I go back. I think that the work we’re about to do on the school is going to benefit the community immensely because we will be involving the youth and allowing them to develop an open mind, ready to accept other perspectives and allowed to consider other alternatives to the goals that have been set for them. I hope that as community artists, we truly do give these students a chance to explore their power and ideas. All children should be allowed to step beyond their surroundings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment