Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor's take warning"

I am in the group working in the courtyard of the school, and we decided it would be best if we got to know the kids on the first session. At first I was nervous, because I wasn't sure about lost time for the work; however, throughout the week I've been watching the weather to check for rain. Sure enough, it was supposed to rain some on the day of our work, but looking at the red sky now, I'm losing faith.
It's easy to put work aside and focus on what's fun when the weather forces us to hold off on even just the priming, but if the old rhyme is correct, which I've found it usually is, then tomorrow will be clear; and we'll have missed a good day to work when there is high chance the upcoming Thursdays may be fraught with bad weather.
I expect us to get to know the kids during their time with us (and hope for the best later), and at least get the sweeping and washing of grime done, because that work can be done even, if not especially, in the rain (should it rain). If it is sunny, or just dry, and we finish the washing, we may move on to priming, but I'm not even sure we have those materials yet, so probably not.
I also fear that the children will ask us questions about what we're doing that we don't know the answer to, and they'll refuse to cooperate because they'll think we're stupid... but really I'm more worried about them giving us headaches so that none of us will be in our best moods and, therefore, we won't even be able to cooperate effectively among ourselves!
There are so many ways things could go wrong that I'm nervous, but I guess I'm also ready to just jump in. I guess we'll find out tomorrow what was worth worrying over! - Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Hi -- I tried to leave this comment elsewhere on your blog but I'm not sure it went through, so I'll try one more time:

    This and your tumblr blog are really interesting. I'll be following this over the rest of the fall. I thought you might be interested to know that we have a new correspondent on the TAJ ALT/space starting this month. His name is Spoon Jackson and he is a writing TA who is incarcerated in a California prison. I think you'll be interested in following his posts. Also, if you think you might be interested in adapting some of your blog work for ALT/space, please contact me through the website. I'd like to know more about you and the context for this project but I think the fact that you seem to be just starting out would be a powerful story for a larger audience to follow. --Malke

    ReplyDelete