Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Federal Hill

For my trip I visited Federal Hill.

Federal Hill is located directly south of the Inner Harbor and is home to Federal Hill Park, The American Visionary Arts Museum and Cross Street Market along with may restaurants and shops.Federal Hill got its name in 1789 when it served as the location of the end of a parade following the ratification of the "Federal" Constitution.

When I visited the park I was very interested in the military statues and cannons and wondered what role the park and these general played in the Revolutionary War. The most notable statue in the park is of Samuel Smith who was a captain and major for the Continental Army but more notably represented the citizens of Maryland by being a congressman and later a senator. Smith was also the Mayor of Baltimore. Smith also was a member of a branch of American Colonization Society that was dedicated to return Africans to Liberia so they could lead free lives. Interestingly enough the satute of Smith was also made by Hans Schuler a notable sculptor and graduate of MICA who served as president of MICA for over 25 years.

Although Smith had a role in the revolutionary war… I discovered that Federal Hill Park didn't play a signifigant part. Although it had no huge part in the revolutionary war, in 1824 when the british attacked North Point good old Samuel Smith lead 10,000 Americans to a victory by blocking the invading army. Federal Hill Park was also used in 1861 to protect Baltimore from Confederate spies. They referred to the camp as Fort Federal Hill.

Federal Hill is also home to the American Visionary Arts Museum which I absolutely love and sadly can never display my art in because it is only for untrained artists. The American Visionary Arts Museum currently has its exhibit "All Things Round". This museum features art made up of all sorts of mediums including paper plates like Wendy Brackman's amazing mandala or Scott Weavers awe inspiring rolling through the bay made out of over 100,000 toothpicks. I had seen this work before online but to see it in person was incredible. I just wish i had been able to see the actual thing in action but luckily their was a theater where you could see it. I was also really surprised by the American Visionary Art Museums connection with Post Secret and was delighted to find out the Post Secret headquarters is so local. I loved the feminine room because it channeled feminine spirituality as well as fertility and creation. Also in stark contrast to Weavers gargantuan work (yet fragile as well) was Greg Morts tiny little universe which is an oxymoron. I liked his piece because It provided such a contrast to many of the works which are bold and playful with color.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to spend much time in the museum or in Federal Hill so I was unable to take pictures ( your not allowed to take pictures in the museum anyway). This trip and my continued reading about the area has made me desperate to get back and explore the area.

Leone

No comments:

Post a Comment