Wednesday, September 21, 2011

House of Ruth

When we were given this assignment for next week I knew right away that I wanted my research and piece to be about an issue that deals with the women of Baltimore. After speaking to Whitney, I went home and looked up House of Ruth, a domestic violence center in Baltimore. I read their mission statement, and browsed their website before deciding that I would try to contact them. I sent them an email about myself, what the assignment was about, and why I want to find out more about that particular organization. I'm not sure if they will get back to me, and what kind of information I will get back (seeing how it's a domestic violence center, privacy is really important there, so I'm not sure if I will be able to get the contact information of anyone who has been there personally) but I hope to get a response soon. On their website, they say that you can help out by volunteering in some way, and I would love to do that in order to find out more about the center. The many time constraints, however, may keep me from doing that before this project is due. Now that I know about this place, though, I think I will continue to look into helping out there even after this project is handed in. Shedding light on women's issues is a big part of my artistic voice and now that I'm here at MICA, I want to get knee deep in helping in any way that I can, in order to help out these women as well as to gain some sort of inspiration for my artwork. We'll see what happens when I get a response back! -Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment