Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Sister's Place/Mt. Vernon

 First place I headed out to in the area was the Basilica of the Assumption. (It was actually the first basilica in the US.) It is so majestic, big, spacious, and airy inside with beautiful architecture, paintings, sculptures, and dome paintings. I decided to take a little adventure and take a look at the chapel. After descending three flights of narrow stairs without a door in sight, the walls turned into layers of bricks and I found myself in a tunnel...kind of like catacombs. (I was kind of scared at the moment because I was alone in the dark catacomb-tunnel-chapel). Long story short, the chapel had a lot of history to it and had so much to offer and discover.
In the area I also explored the Enoch Pratt free library, My Sister's Place Woman Center, and the Walters Art Museum. My Sister's Place is a daytime refuge shelter for homeless women and their children. I met some nice ladies and pretty sociable three-year-olds that showed me where to inquire about the center. Inside, Jackie Reed let me know about volunteering there. I found out that the center's been around for 20 years but 3 years at that specific location. I plan on going back again...Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment