Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Project PLASE

One social issue that always has made me uncomfortable is homelessness. There's something about the idea  of it that scares me. When someone is homeless, it's assumed that they literally have nowhere to go, and how scary is that? They have no friends and no family that are willing to take them in. Is something wrong? Probably. When I see someone that's homeless on the street it's almost like I'm trespassing or invading their space, and I just never know how to act. It's a feeling akin to creeping past a rabid, feral dog. When it gets to that point they aren't treated like humans, and I recognize that feeling within myself and I want to change it and change my view on homelessness, that's why this week I got in contact with a group in Baltimore called Project PLASE.

Project PLASE [PLASE standing for People Lacking Shelter and Employment] works to provide help housing for those that are homeless, vulnerable, and undeserved, especially those who suffer from a mental disease, HIV/AIDS, and addictions. They have traditional and permanent housing for both men and women. Project PLASE has been working since 1974 and most commonly take clients that have been referred by the Department for Social Services, HERO, Healthcare for the Homeless, and many other organizations. They go throught about 350 clients a year and about 52% of them transitioned to stable living conditions.

While I'm still corresponding with them through e-mail I hope to be able to volunteer this year and at least go down and visit their main building some time this weekend.
Their website is here: http://www.projectplase.org/
-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment